Jul 1, 2015

TEST SHOOT: TEAM PLAYER



Recently I've fallen, or rather stumbled, into the wonderful opportunity that is freelance styling with the help of my fantastically talented friend and photographer Mitchell Flores. Together we have been able to shoot and style several test shoots for models signed to agencies in the DFW and I have dabbled in many of my non-school related hobbies including all things fashion, and my amateur hair and makeup skills. Slowly but surely, I'm beginning to realize what truly interests me in the fashion industry; the creative process and vision. I love all stages of concept development from start to finish. I love gathering inspiration, whether it be from current runway trends, old Vogue magazines from the 90's, or my own nostalgia. Despite it's shallow tendencies, fashion and clothing is personal. I try to bring influence from different outlets that might not necessarily be related to the shoot location or general atmosphere. It's the little oddities that draw me in to a photograph in terms of both composition and styling. In the words of the great Raf,
"I'M ATTRACTED TO THINGS I CAN'T DEFINE" - RAF SIMONS
While this concept may seem a bit abstract, I believe it holds true in the fashion industry and for definitions of beauty across all societies. There is something uniquely fresh and wonderful about the odd and unknown. I try to bring some of my own awkward quirkiness to any shoot I embark on, including those spent in front of the camera. I'm excited to share my creative vision, my love for fashion, and my desire to create concepts that capture beauty with no particular standard. Stay tuned for future shoots, inspiration posts and maybe more of where my head has been lately.

XOXOXX, Laurel

Look 1: Sweater: Thrifted | Skirt: F21 | Blazer: Thrifted: Shoes: Ebay  

Look 2: Button-down: Thrifted: Skirt: BCBG (thrifted) | Bomber: Vintage | Shoes: Chucks































The inspiration for this shoot came from my own experience as a high school student and the simplicity and frustrations of growing of up in the suburbs where I was surrounded by rich kids with nice cars and bad attitudes. A little reminiscent of Frank Oceans "Super Rich Kids", I can't help but feel like the outfits I chose for this shoot serve as a mirror of both who I was and who I wanted to be. I wanted to capture that effortless cool I used to envy in the 'popular' girls and 'Queen Bees' so to speak. I have grown to distance myself from this cliché archetype that never seems to die, even in college. This girl is a mixture of preppy and punk, an angel, but devious as hell and full of a certain type of energy that lingers in the room even after she leaves. She is a complicated mess of societies' standards for what it means to be a women and nothing more accurately describes my own high school experience. Thanks to Mitchell Flores and the lovely Lejla Camdzic of the Campbell Agency, these looks came together effortlessly with the football field backdrop and baseball field. Here are a couple of favorites I handpicked from the shoot. 












No comments:

Post a Comment