Aug 12, 2015

TEST SHOOT: BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY



Bohemian
   2. A person, as an artist or writer, who lives and acts free of regard for conventional rules and practices

Rhapsody 
    1. An ecstatic expression of feeling or enthusiasm.

I decided to take inspiration for this shoot from a favorite Queen song of mine and my general love for fashion of the late sixties and seventies that is so often mimicked and replicated throughout the decades. Despite my love for flowy maxi dresses and frayed, wide-leg hems, I find it quite ironic how often this look has been re-invented and adopted by the masses, especially young suburbanites who belong to the upper and middle classes. The desire to appear a part of the 'bohemian' lifestyle, particularly at music festivals and as a general rule of thumb for summer dressing is interesting given the true meaning of the word bohemian versus the price of a pair of bell bottoms from urban. The concept of a true bohemian lifestyle has always held my attention, as I'm a sucker for anything involving romance and true adventure. After watching Into the Wild, a book I've yet to read but have certainly added to a growing list, I can only wonder what Alexander Supertramp would think of this phenomenon. Of course one could make the argument that fashion is fashion, and in the end we're all a victim of the quickly evolving trends and patterns, myself included. For this shoot I aimed to create my own vision of what I imagine when I hear the word bohemian; the freedom to be whoever you want, regardless of the mold you feel has been shaped for you.

XOXOO, Laurel

Look 1: Bralette: thrifted | Jean jacket: thrifted | Jeans: thrifted (altered) | 'Birks': Target 

Look 2: Lace dress: thrifted | Bralette: thrifted | Shorts: F21 | Shoes: thrifted | Necklace: thrifted

Look 3: Dress: thrifted | Hat: Cotton On | Shoes: Ebay

MUAH: thelastpair




















As with most shoots, this one quickly escalated in to a mini adventure involving a ranch house on a hill complete with a barbed wire, various farm animals, and a jeep ride down to a massive field of tall grasses. Thank goodness for Kris Park of the Campbell Agency, who was totally a trooper in the sweltering Texas heat and Mitchell Flores who always seems to make everything fall in to place.








No comments:

Post a Comment